New York National Guard Education Services

Chapter 1606 - Selected Reserve GI Bill

The Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606) (MGIB-SR) provides educational assistance in the form of monthly payments to qualified Service Members enrolled in VA-approved education and training programs. These include programs offered at Colleges and Universities, approved Distance Learning programs, flight training programs, apprenticeship and on-the-job training programs such as: welder, painter, maintenance mechanic, machinist, cook, police officer, fire fighter, plumber, roofer, electrician and other qualifying fields.

Eligibility Requirements

An eligibility date is automatically established when the Service Member:

  • Has a six-year contract
  • Completes Initial Active Duty Training
  • Obtains a high school diploma or GED prior to applying for this benefit
  • Is in an active drilling status

Once all eligibility requirements are met, the Education Services Office will produce a Notice of Basic Eligibility, DD Form 2384-1. The form is commonly referred to as the NOBE (pronounced: “no bee”). The NOBE will be filed into the Service Members IPERMS file.

Service Members who establish eligibility before 1992 have 10 years from their date of eligibility to utilize their Montgomery GI Bill benefits.

Service Members who establish eligibility after 1992 have 14 years from their date of eligibility to utilize their Montgomery GI Bill benefits.

MGIB-SR benefits end when the Service Member is discharged. There are some exceptions which can be found @

Where do I begin?

To collect Chapter 1606 GI Bill benefits, you must:

Your school’s VA Representative will then complete a VA Form 22-1999 to verify your enrollment

How do I receive my monthly payments?

You must verify your enrollment monthly to receive your deposit by calling 1-877-823-2378 or using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) System @

How much money will I receive?

Chapter 1606 rates vary depending on the type of training you are pursuing. Current rates can be found here:

Can I collect Chapter 1606 GI Bill and tuition assistance benefits at the same time?

Montgomery GI Bill and FTA can be used simultaneously but not for the same course. This does not apply to State Tuition Assistance.

What will happen to my Chapter 1606 GI Bill benefits if I leave the service?

If you leave active drilling status and enter IRR or ING, your Chapter 1606 GI Bill benefits will be suspended, effective the date you transfer. You must return to active drilling status within 12 months in order to retain your MGIB-SR benefits. If you are discharged from the IRR or ING, your MGIB-SR benefits will be terminated.

How do I gain eligibility for MGIB-SR as an Officer or Warrant Officer?

Newly appointed Officers and Warrant Officers must complete an Officer Sercive Agreement (OSA) DA Form 5447-R in order to gain eligibility for this program.

Officers and Warrant Officers who were enlisted are encouraged to contact the Education Services Office as it may be necessary for us to research your enlisted time in order to determine your eligibility status.

For further information, please contact the Education Services Office at

© NYS DMNA: NYNG Education Services - Chapter 1606 - Select Reserve
Page Last Modified: 07 Jun 18