New York National Guard Education Services

Transfer of Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits to Dependents (TEB)

For the first time in history, servicemembers enrolled in the Post-9/11 GI Bill program will be able to transfer unused educational benefits to their spouses or children starting Aug. 1, 2009.

You must first go to the DoD tranferability application website at to transfer benefits to eligible dependants.

Who is eligible for TEB

Any member of the Armed Forces (active duty or Selected Reserve, officer or enlisted) on or after August 1, 2009, who is eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, and:

RuleYears of Service When Request is SubmittedAdditional Service Obligation
1 At least six years but less than 10 years Four years from the date the request was submitted.
2 10 or more years Four years or up to Retention Control Point or Mandatory Retirement date from the date the request was submitted, whichever is less.
3 20 or more years No additional service obligation.
4 Approved retirement with a date from 1 September 2009 through 1 June 2010 No additional service obligation.
5 19 but less than 20 years One year of service from the date the request was submitted.
6 18 but less than 19 years Two years of service from the date the request was submitted.
7 17 but less than 18 years Three years of service from the date the request was submitted.

Eligible Dependents

An individual approved to transfer an entitlement to educational assistance under this section may transfer the individual’s entitlement to:

A family member must be enrolled in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System (DEERS) and be eligible for benefits, at the time of transfer to receive transferred educational benefits.

A child’s subsequent marriage will not affect his or her eligibility to receive the educational benefit; however, after an individual has designated a child as a transferee under this section, the individual retains the right to revoke or modify the transfer at any time.

A subsequent divorce will not affect the transferee’s eligibility to receive educational benefits; however, after an individual has designated a spouse as a transferee under this section, the eligible individual retains the right to revoke or modify the transfer at any time.

Nature of Transfer

An eligible Service member may transfer up to the total months of unused Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits, or the entire 36 months if the member has used none (unless DoD/DHS limits the number of months an individual may transfer).

Family member use of transferred educational benefits is subject to the following:

How to apply for TEB

To be eligible to transfer benefits the Soldier must:

  1. Be eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill (90 days or more on title 10 or title 32 (AGR or National Emergency Authorized by SecDef) following 9-11-01)
    * Soldiers that elect Chpt 33 GI Bill are making an irrevocable election to give up their Chpt 1606, 1607 and 30 benefits.
  2. Have at least 6 years of military service when the request to transfer benefits is submitted; all military service counts towards the six year requirement except time in the Individual Ready Reserves.
  3. Not have an adverse action flag.
  4. Be current member of armed forces.

Soldiers who transfer benefits incur an additional service obligation of 4yrs or up to Retention Control Point/Mandatory Retirement.

Once a Soldier meets the requirements above, the Soldier can elect to transfer the Chpt 33 benefits by

  1. Signing on to the DOD Transferability Website located at
    • Click on the YES next to your dependents name (NA or NO means they are not eligible for transfer)
    • Enter Transfer End Date (15yrs for spouse, 26th birthday for children)
    • Enter # of months being transferred (max benefit is 36 months)
    • Click OK
    • Check Chpt 33 Post 9-11 and all boxes of the statement of understanding
  2. Once the request is processed, the Soldier will receive an email with a SOU attached. Complete the SOU and return it to the GI Bill Team. Once processed you’ll receive an email stating the request was approved or denied.
  3. Once you receive the email, return to the transferability website at and save or print a copy of the approval for your records.

To start collecting the benefit from the VA, the dependent must:

  1. The Soldier's spouse or dependent must then complete VA form 22-1990E through the VA's website at Attach proof that the transferability was approved (PDF file form the TEB website).
  2. Once they start school, the spouse or dependent should see the VA representative and inform them they will be using Chpt 33 gi bill. The school will need to provide enrollment paperwork.

Once the paperwork has been processed through the VA Regional Processing Center, the student will receive paperwork in the mail detailing their entitlement.

For more information on the Chpt 33 Post 9-11 GI Bill including estimated rates, please visit the Education website at

© NYS DMNA: NYNG Education Services - Transfer of Chapter 33 to Dependents
Page Last Modified: 28 Oct 16