Fort Constitution, 1775, Putnam County, Garrison. On Constitution
Island (Martlaer's Rock) in the Hudson River opposite West Point. Started summer
1775. Planned fort had bastions, 200 foot curtain rampart (14 cannon), five
batterys with 81 cannon, barracks and an octagonal blockhouse with six cannon
and magazine. By Nov 1775 had 70 cannon. By Jan 1776 construction stopped with
materials going to Fort Montgomery. By Apr 1776 had only 22 cannon left. Burned
and abandoned Oct 1777, captured and further destroyed by British same month.
Partially rebuilt Feb 1778 as Fort 7 for East anchor of West
Point chain (Spring
1778 to Winter 1782).
For more information see:
www.usma.army.mil/tour/ (Links open new windows.)
Back to Forts A-D Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 18, 2006