Fort George (1) - 1714, new York County, New York. British
renamed Fort Amsterdam (1626) as Fort James Aug 1664, Fort William Henry 1691,
Fort Anne or Queen's Fort 1703. Briefly reoccupied by the Dutch 1673-74 as Fort
Willem Hendick. Renamed Fort George in 1714. Partially destroyed by a fire in
1741. Captured by Patriots August 1775, the north side bastions and ramparts
were destroyed Feb 1776. Demolished in 1790.
(2) - September 1755, Oswego County, Oswego. Located in what
is now Montcalm Park, Montcalm and West 6th Street. Third of three British Forts
at Oswego (along with Forts Oswego and Ontario). Sometimes also called New Fort
Oswego, Fort Rascal, and West Fort. Was 170 feet square with a hospital/barracks
and barracks buildings. The ramparts were planned to be 20 feet thick of earth
and masonry and 12 feet high. In spring 1756 it was only half completed without
its cannons installed. Destroyed by Montcalm (French) in August 1756. Only Fort
Ontario was rebuilt in 1759.
(3) - 1755, Warren County, Village of Lake George. Located
just South East of Fort William Henry on higher ground. Established after the
Battle of Lake George in 1755. Improvements started in 1759 as base of General
Amherst for his advance against French at Ft Ticonderoga, but only one bastion
completed. (also buried remains of Ft Wm Henry destroyed 1757). Captured by
Col. Romans of the Patriots in May 1775. Abandoned 1777 at Burgoyne's advance.
Reoccupied after The Battle of Saratoga until surrendered again in 1780. Now
ruins of only the one bastion built. See also "Bloody
Pond" for related battle in 1755 and 1780.
Click on the following images to enlarge them.
(4) - 1777, Staten Island, St. George. British fortified encampment,
(5) - 1776, New York County, New York. Was originally Laurel
Hill , the site today is known as Fort George Hill, east side of Broadway at
192nd and Audubon Avenue on the west bank of the Harlem River. The Patriots
established two redoubts November 1776. Overrun by British Black Watch and Hessians.
British expanded works in 1778 to include a blockhouse. Connected to Fort Tryon
winter 1779. Named Fort Clinton for a short time, then Fort George. Site now
of George Washington High School.
Back to Forts E - L Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 19, 2006