Governor's Island, 1824-1996, Kings County, Brooklyn. First
occupied by the Dutch in 1624 with Nooten Eylandt Fort, which was left in 1625
for Fort Amsterdam. During the Revolutionary
war it was occupied with a Patriot battery (unnamed) in 1776, then garrisoned
by the British (unnamed) 1776-1782. Fort Jay was built
in 1794 (named for John Jay, Governor of NY), upgraded 1803 and renamed Fort
Columbus, reverted to Fort Jay 1904. Castle William
was constructed in 1811 (named for its designer Johnathan Williams, a nephew
of Benjamin Franklin), and used for Confederate prisoners 1862-1870. The South
Battery was built in 1812. There was an Army Arsenal on the island 1833-1920.
A Blockhouse was built in 1840. Used as Headquarters of 2 Corps Department of
the East, then Headquarters First US Army. Later a USCG Regional Headquarters,
until closure started in 1996, future disposition uncertain.
Back to Forts E - L Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 19, 2006