Greenbush Cantonment, 1663-1690 and 1812-1831, Rensselaer
County, East Greenbush. 1863- Early small stockaded fort, three miles east of
Village of Greenbush, no further information on this. 1812- The US Government
purchased a 400 acre post as the Headquarters of the Northern Division of the
US Army in May 1812 from tenant farmers, and concluded a valid purchase in Sep
1813. The Cantonment construction started May 1812 and contained accomodations
for 4000 troops and a 100 bed hospital. Facilities included Eight Barracks 252
X 22 feet two stories high, four on each side of a parade ground 1/2 mile wide.
Three 90 foot long buildings, two stories for Officers, on opposite ends of
the parade. Also two large Commissary buildings, arsenal, armory, guard houses,
stables, farrier, magazine, laboratories, Genral and Field Grade Quarters, and
hospital buldings. Declared surplus May 1819, purchased in May 1831 by McCulloch.
McCulloch established his house in the Northeast Officers Quarters and all other
structures were removed. That one Officer Barracks remains standing, and Red
Mill School occupies the former grand parade grounds.
Click on the images below to enlarge.
Back to Forts E - L Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 19, 2006