(1) August 1776, Kings County, Brooklyn. A star shaped fort
with a well and two magazines mounting six guns, 300 yards left (north) of Fort
Box. Largest in Brooklyn, it held a Regiment. Named for General Nathanael Greene.
Site above Bond Street between State and Schermerhorn. One of a line of entrenchment's
for the Battle of Long Island from Fort Box at marshes near Gowanus Bay to Fort
Greene to Oblong Redoubt to Fort Putnam to Left Redoubt at Wallabout Bay. Each
work was a complete entity surrounded with a wide ditch, sides lined with pointed
stakes, and each had sally-ports. Most of the line also had abatises. After
British capture may have been named Fort Sutherland November 1778, improvements
made in 1782. Used again in the War of 1812 renamed Fort Masonic.
(2) 1812, Kings County, Brooklyn. War of 1812 fort on site
of Fort Putnam 1776. Details requested. Now Fort Greene Park.
Back to Forts E - L Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 19, 2006