Fort Half Moon
(1): 1776, Kings County, Brooklyn. Another name for Fort
(2): 1691, Saratoga County, Waterford. Fort built in 1691
for the Schagticoke Indians on the West bank of the Hudson. Thought near the
Northern City line, near Lock 1. Existing fort from 1669 was possibly relocated
at that time and rebuilt. Garrisoned with 50 Fusileers from Albany in 1691.
In ruin by 1702 and repaired in 1704.
(3): 1757, Saratoga County, Waterford. A new fort was built
on 3 foot stilts at the North point of land at junction of the Mohawk and Hudson
Rivers, opposite Haver's Island. Described in 1759 as a poor redoubt. Fortification
of Haver's Island in 1777 does not mention the fort.
WaterFord: A colonial ford across the Mohawk River from which Waterford derives
its name. Site of the colonial Fort Half Moon.
Back to Forts E - L Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 19, 2006