Fort Hendrick: 1754-1760, Herkimer County, Town of Danube.
Located at the Upper Castle of the Mohawks, sometimes refered to as Canajoharie with various spellings. The Upper Castle was established about 1710 and an earlier
fortification was constructed in 1747. Location was on the flatts just east
of Nowadaga Creek and South of the Mohawk River. Due to the French and Indian
War improved fortifications were made on the site of the original two blockhouses
with completion in August 1755. Fort was a square of upright pickets joined
together with lintels, 15 feet high, 1 foot thick, with portholes and an interior
platform. It was 100 paces to a side without a ditch. Some small cannons (possibly
swivel guns) in each bastion. A house on each curtain wall for stores and barracks.
Garrison was one Officer and 25 men. Named for the Mohawk "King" Hendrick, who
was killed at Lake George one month after completion of the fort. Markers for
Hendrick and Canajoharie are 3 Km apart although they identify the same place.
For more information see www.nysm.nysed.gov/research_collections/research/history/hendrick/pagethree.html
(link will open new window)
Ft Hendrick 1754 - 1760 British post guarding Mohawk Castle. Named for King
Hendrick Killed at Lake George, Spet. 1755
Back to Forts E - L Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 19, 2006