Fort Jay: 1797, Governor's
Island. First a battery in 1776, then garrisoned by British from 1776-1782.
Fort Jay (for John Jay one-time Governor of NY) built 1797-98, upgraded in 1803
and renamed Fort Columbus 1803-1904.
Reverted to Fort Jay. For more information see
www.geocities.com/Pentagon/1196/governor.html (link opens new window)
Back to Forts E - L Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 20, 2006