Jones Hill Fort
Jones Hill Fort: 1776, New York City, Corlear's Hook. A Patriot
fortification sometimes called Crown Point Battery was constructed on the point
Another account has a stong circular redoubt with 8 guns
called Fort Pitt, at the intersection of Grand and Pitt Streets lower east side.
This was the left flank (east) of a line to the west between Grand and Broome
Streets to Broadway (Fort Bunker Hill), then northwest to a redoubt (unnamed)
at Thompson and Spring Streets. Location is present Broome and Pitt Streets
or Grand and Columbia Steets. After evacuation of NYC the British strengthened
the works with fraises and pickets. Continuing on the line of Grand Street to
the Bowery two more circular batteries were added in May 1780 at Norfolk Street
and Eldridge Street.
Back to Forts E - L Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 20, 2006