(1): 1777, Huson River South of Peekskill, at Verplancke's
Point. At the East end of "The King's Ferry" from Stony Point. Captured by the
British in 1779 along with Stony Point. Believed abandoned by British in October
1779 along with Stony Point.For more information see
http://www2.lhric.org/spbattle/spbattle.htm (link opens new window)
(2): 1812, New York Harbor off Fort Hamilton. Built in 1812-18
on Hendrick's Reef and armed with 72 cannon. Originally named Fort Diamond,
renamed in 1825 for General Lafayette. Used for Confederate prisoners 1861-66.
Burned in 1868. Transferred to the Navy in 1898 for the storage of Naval supplies
and ammunition. During WW2 the fort was used as an interim storage facility
and transfer point for small and miscellaneous lots of ammunition. Fort included
a Marine Barracks. Transferred to NYC after the war in 1948, mostly demolished
in 1960 for Verrazano-Narrows Bridge foundations.
Back to Forts E - L Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 20, 2006