Fort Laight: 1814, New York City. South side of old 125th
Street (now LaSalle), North of 124th, 120 yards east of 11th Avenue (present
day Morning Side Gardens). Named for Ltc. Edward Laight of the City Militia.
This stone fort (probably similar to Fort Clinton at McGowan's Pass) commanded
Manhattanville overlooking Harlem Plains. It also covered the Manhattanville
Pass in Bloomingdale Road at 123rd street and 100 feet West of 11th Avenue (Broadway).
Fort Laight also had entrenchments west through Riverside Park near Grant's
Tomb to the Hudson Heights. Picture is 1877 etching by Henry Farrer. See Blockhouse
#4 for 1903 photo of same view. Info credit to Eric K. Washington, The Manhattenville
Back to Forts E - L Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 20, 2006