Lispenard's Redoubt: 1776, New York City. Started as American
works on Lispenard's Hill as the western anchor of a defensive line. Was a redoubt
covering north and had a battery covering the Hudson (Grenadier's Battery reconstructed
by British in 1780 into Foundry Redoubt). Near present Varick and Laight Streets.
1780, the landward fort was rebuilt into a star shaped works and renamed Star
Back to Forts E - L Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 20, 2006