Fort Lydius: This location was the Southern terminus of the "Great Carrying Place", a 11 mile route from the Hudson River (now Ft Edward) to the forks of Wood Creek at Fort
Anne leading to Lake Champlain. Purchased and developed as a colony by John
Lydius in 1732, named Fort Lydius. The settlement was destroyed in 1745. Rebuilt
in 1755 as Ft Lyman.
Great Carrying Place
Fort Nicholson, 1709.
Fort Lydius, 1731.
Fory Lyman, 1755.
Back to Forts E - L Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 20, 2006