Fort Lyman: This location was the Southern terminus of the "Great Carrying Place", a 11 mile route from the Hudson River (now Fort Edward) to the forks of Wood Creek at Fort
Anne leading to Lake Champlain. In 1755 General Lyman built fortifications
on the ruins of Ft Lydius named Fort Lyman. Renamed
Fort Edward shortly upon completion.
Great Carrying Place
Fort Nicholson, 1709.
Fort Lyman, 1731.
Fory Lyman, 1755.
Back to Forts E - L Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 20, 2006