Fort Neilson: 1777,Saratoga, Revolutionary War. The initial American blocking position for
Burgoynes advance was on Bemis Heights, centered on the barn of John Neilson.
The barn was strengthened with a double tier of logs on three sides. A
circular form of strong batteries extended 150 feet to the south. The
entire position was encircled by a deep trench with palisade. A bombproof
magazine was built in the center of the works.
For more information see: www.revolutionaryday.com/usroute4/saratoga/default.htm (link
opens new window)
Back to Forts M-P Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 20, 2006