Fort Niagara (Old):
1726, Niagara County, Youngstown. After three previous short term forts
(Fort LsSalle) 1669, in ( Fort Conti) 1679 and (Fort
Denonville) 1687, the French established a permanent presence in 1726.
Starting in June a palisaded two story stone "chateau" with attic was built.
Cannon were secretly installed on the second floor (garret) and the attic.
In October 1755 the fort was improved with new entrenchments, a barracks for
400, rebuilt palisades of oak, a moat, and improved fields of fire to 1/4 mile.
Attacked by Bg. Prideaux (killed) and Sir William Johnson and captured 27 July
1759. Rebuilt through September 1759 under Sir William. Massive stone north
and south redoubts built in 1766-77. The British surrendered the fort to the
new U.S. government in 1796. The British retook the fort during the war of
1812 and returned it after the war. Brick walls and a moat were added in 1861.
For more information see: www.oldfortniagara.org/
French Period: 1678-1759 www.oldfortniagara.org/frenchhistory.htm
British period: 1759-1796 www.oldfortniagara.org/britishhistory.htm
American period: 1796-1872 www.oldfortniagara.org/oldamericanhistory.htm (links
open new windows)
Aerial photo thanks to Old Fort Niagara Org.
See: Fort Niagara under the French, English, and the United States by Henry R. Marshall.
Fort Niagara (New): 1841, Niagara County, Youngstown. In
1841 new building construction was started adjacent to the old fort's battlements
consisting of Barracks, Officer's Quarters, and Life Saving Station. More buildings
were added on the surrounding plain during its use as a training post from
1903. In 1917 through 1922 it was an Officer's Training Camp and ROTC. From
1922 to 1940 it was the Base for the 28th Infantry Regiment, during which period
many improvements and preservation work was done. From 1940 to 1943 it was
a Reception Center for Army draftees, and more than 11 new buildings were constructed.
From 1943 to 1945 it was a Reception Center, then Separation Camp, and also
served as a prisoner of war camp. In 1945 the base was closed and by 1946 was
being used for Veteran's housing. Most of the Base, except for housing was
turned over to the Niagara Frontier Parks Commission.
Fort Niagara (NIKE): 1950, Niagara County, Youngstown.
In 1950 a detachment of the US Air Force occupied some building, and by 1953
were notified to vacate. The Fort was occupied by the 2nd Antiaircraft Group
and rehabilitation and modernization was completed by 1955. Nike sites controlled
from here were at Model City, Cambria Center, Grand Island, Millersport, Lancaster,
Orchard Park, and Hamburg. Nike-Ajax Missile operations until 1963 when deactivated.
Most of the buildings were subsequently removed and development started as
historical site in 1963 to present, and now owned by the State Parks and operated
by a not-for-profit organization.
For more information see 1872 - To present: www.oldfortniagara.org/americanhistory.htm (Link
opens new window)
Back to Forts M-P Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
August 15, 2012