Fort Niskayuna: Also known as Canastaginone.
Also spelled Canastagone, then Nistigone. First mentioned
in 1691. Site was 14 miles from Albany on the South side of the Mohawk River
Ferry and a few hundred feet West of Mill Creek. Referenced in 1702 as
a pretty large stockaded fort now gone to ruin. A stone redoubt was proposed
in 1702 and a bill for "repairs" was submitted in 1704. A house was later constructed
on the site and the land was subsequently taken in 1911 for a flood basin of
the Improved Erie Barge Canal, a railroad (now bike path) and new River Road
skirted the flood basin. The exact site or remains have not been researched.
Back to Forts M-P Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 20, 2006