Numbered Forts in New York City
Fort Number 1: 1776. Built by Col. Swartwout on the southwest slope of Spuyten
Duyvil Hill at today's West 230th Street and Sycamore Avenue. Small square fort
with abatis. Abandoned without fight. Manned by Hessians until Nov 1778 when
replaced by British Guards, abandoned and demolished Fall 1779. Also halfmoon
earthenwork at mouth of Spuyten Duyvil Creek.
Fort Number 2: 1776. Built by Col. Swartwout on the crest
of Spuyten Duyvil Hill today 200 feet south of 230th Street and 230 feet west
of Arlington Avenue. A
small circular abatised fort, abandoned Oct 1776, occupied by Hessians who
added a small redan on west side, abandoned and destroyed Nov 1779. During
may have been named Fort Swartwout.
Fort Number 3: 1776. Built by Col. Swartwout on eastern slope
of Spuyten Duyvil Hill vicinity today of Netherland Avenue between 227th and
231st Streets. A
square abatised earthwork it was evacuated Nov 1776, reoccupied by Hessians
who in 1778
added a curtain wall to Fort Number 2. Abandoned by British Nov 1779 ruins
existed to 1781.
Fort Number 4: 1776. A square palisaded earthwork redoubt.
Near present south end of Jerome Park Reservoir, 700 feet east of Sedgewick
twice and captured, occupied by British and Hessians. Redoubt was added
in July - October
1777. Demolished in Fall 1779. Excavations in 1910 showed officer quarters
and guard house structures.
Fort Number 5: 1777. British square abatised earthwork.
Located on Kingsbridge Road covering Dyckman Bridge over the Harlem River.
Now the grounds of
U.S.Veteran's Hospital. Demolished in Fall 1779. Fort was not in action.
Fort Number 6: 1777. British earthwork. Also on the grounds
of the Veteran's Hospital. Destroyed September 1779, not in action.
Fort Number 7: 1776. British earthworks for 20 cannon at present day
Fordham Road and Sedgewick Avenue. Constructed for attack on Fort
started in July 1777 into a square abatised fort. Barracks erected
between fort and King's Redoubt to the west in December 1778. Stone
and earthworks torn down September 1779.
Fort Number 8: 1776. British four-pointed star fort with
abatis. Stood on east side of Harlem River on today's NY University Campus,
Bronx (Battery Hill). Schwab Mansion 1857 built on site. Abandoned
and destroyed October 1782. Just to the north was the earlier Rebel
Fort Number 9: 1776. See Fort Prince.
Back to Forts M-P Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 20, 2006