Fort Orange: Dutch trading fort, Albany, on Hudson 1624, taken over by British 1664, replaced with Fort Frederick 1676. Replaced a previous Dutch trading fort 1615-17 (see Fort Nassau). This rendering by Leonard Tantillo was based on a Dutch map of Rensselaerwyck drawn in 1632, which indicated the fort stood on the river's edge in an area of cultivated flats. The moat which surrounds the fort on all but the east side next to the river is visible. Specific plans for the fort are not known to exist, but was probably built on the same general plan as numerous other Dutch facilities around the world which were researched along with seventeenth century Dutch paintings, and drawings providing much of the information pertaining to building details, and various site embellishments. Details were also obtained from archeological findings in a partial excavation of the Fort Orange site in 1970.
For more information see: www.albany.edu/museum/wwwmuseum/tantillo/orange.html [link
opens new window]
Fort Orange painting by Leonard Tantillo
Our thanks to Mr. Tantillo for the use of this picture.
Back to Forts M - P Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 20, 2006