1 - Fort Oswego: First British fort at Oswego started as a trading post in
1722 on the West bank of river, First and Lake Street, Oswego. In the summer
1724, to counter Magazin Royal (Joncaire's Blockhouse)
at Niagara, New Yorker's under orders of Governor Burnet, established a fort
and trading post at the mouth of the Oswego River on Lake Ontario. 1724 it
was a blockhouse, 1727 a 4 foot thick stone stone walled building
with galleries (sometimes called Fort Burnet for Governor William Burnet). In
1741-3 work was started on a stone wall around the trading post with bastions
or blockhouses in each corner (called Fort Pepperrell in the 1740's).
Later the British built Ontario and George in 1755. All three were destroyed
by Montcalm (French) in 1755. (The French refered to this site as Fort Chouaguen)
Only Ontario was rebuilt in 1756.
Fort Oswego, 1727
This tablet marks the site of Fort Oswego, sometimes called Fort Burnet, Chouaguen
or Pepperrell. Built in 1727 by Gov. Burnet, strengthened and enlarged in
1755 by Gen. Shirley, garrisoned by 1700 royal and colonial troops. Captured
and destroyed on Aug. 14, 1755 by 5000 French and Indians.
2 - New Fort Oswego, see Fort George (2)
Back to Forts M - P Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 20, 2006