Fort Pitt: 1776, New York City. A stong circular redoubt with 8 guns, at the intersection of Grand and Pitt Streets lower east side. This was the left flank (east) of a line to the west between Grand and Broome Streets to Broadway (Fort Bunker Hill), then northwest to a redoubt (unnamed) at Thompson and Spring Streets. Another account has the Americans constructing Crown Point Battery on Corlear's Hook, which the British rebuilt as Jones Hill Fort. This location is also given as north of intersection of Broome and Pitt Streets or Grand and Columbus Streets. The British also fortified the line of Grand Street to the west with batteries added at Norfolk Street and Eldridge Street.
Back to Forts M - P Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 20, 2006