Plattsburgh Air Force Base
Plattsburgh Air Force Base: Authorized 1953. Involved a large expansion to the South and west (from the Saranac River on the North to the Salmon River on the South). In the 1960s hosted the 56th Strategic Missile Squadron that included the first Atlas ICBM silos (12) (see Atlas F and Champlain, Mooers, Ellenburg Depot, Brainardsville, Dannemora, Redford, Au Sable Forks, Lewis, and Willisboro). Was a Strategic Air Command bomber base for flying the polar routes initially using B-47s in 1956, and then B52s, and later FB111s, until listed for base closure in 1993.
Back to Forts M - P Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 20, 2006