Plattsburgh Barracks: Sometime following the War of 1812, 40 log barracks were built within the pentagon complex formed by Forts Brown, Moreau, Scott, Gaines and Tompkins. Later three stone barracks were constructed on a military post South of this complex. Earliest found Postcards are from 1905.
This area between the Saranac River and Lake Champlain then went through a
series of changes as follows:
Plattsburg Training Camp: Starting in 1917 it was the site of the "Plattsburgh
Idea," a military officer training camp that was the forerunner of ROTC. This
was also refered to as the Plattsburgh Military Camp and the Citizen's Military
Camp, and also remained the U.S. Army Barracks.
Plattsburgh Naval Officers Training Camp - 1944.
Plattsburgh Army Air Force Convelescent Hospital - 1945
Champlain College - 1946, for returning servicemen.
Clute, Penelope D. "The Plattsburg Idea," New York Archives. v5 n2 (Fall
Part One - ** Large File Size 700k
Part Two - ** Large File Size 560k
This article first appeared in the Fall 2005 issue of New York Archives magazine.
It is reprinted here with permission from the Archives Partnership Trust, www.nysarchives.org [link
opens new window]
This view this article you must have the Adobe's Acrobat Reader. This is free
software that can be downloaded here:
Back to Forts M - P Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 20, 2006