Poinsett Barracks: 1839-1845, Erie County, Buffalo. Originally called Buffalo Barracks also known as Poinsett for Secretary of War Joel Poinsett. Constructed to house troops in the area due to tensions with Canada from the Patriot's War. Leased area bounded by Main, Allen, Delaware and North Streets in October 1939. The majority of buildings surrounded a rectangular parade grounds on the Northern end of the Post by December. Mid 1840 three Officer's Quarters, known as the Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural Site, were erected along Deleware, one remains. After completion of nearby Fort Porter, the post was redundant, and closed in September 1845.
For more information see also www.buffalonet.org/army/ [link
opens new window]
Back to Forts M - P Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 20, 2006