Fort Porter: 1841-44, Erie County, Buffalo. Bounded by Porter Avenue, Busti Avenue and the Erie Barge Canal. Named for Gen Peter B. Porter. Initially a square masonry 2-story redoubt 62 feet square with crenelated walls. Surrounded by large earthworks and moat. Largest masonry "blockhouse" ever built. The "castle" had been built in 1836 as a home for Col. James McKay. This was part of the government acquisition of land in 1841 and was used as the Commandant's Quarters.
Fort Porter had not been used for some time when
Civil War started. Used as Headquarters of the 74th Regiment, NYNG.
Ten 60 by 18 foot barracks were constructed and used as a recruiting center.
November 1863 the blockhouse burned. In 1898 the post was reactivated
for the Spanish-American War and used as Headquarters for 13th U.S.
Infantry. In 1917 it was reactivated again for WW1 and used as U.S. Army Base
23 until the unit shipped out. At the close of WW1 it was used as U.S.
General Hospital 4 for returning wounded. In 1926 the property was sold
to provide approaches to new Peace Bridge, and all evidence was removed.
Back to Forts M - P Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 20, 2006