Fort Prince (Prince Charles): 1776, Manhattan. Originally an American earthwork erected as Fort Number 9. Taken by the British November 1776 and renamed Fort Prince Charles, or Charles Redoubt. Site is on south side of Marble (Valentine's) Hill at Fort Charles (Corlear) Place and Kingston Avenue. Occupied by Hessian troops and reconstructed by them. Destroyed fall 1779.
Back to Forts M - P Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 20, 2006
URL: http://www.dmna.state.ny.us/forts/fortsM_P/princeFort .htm