Fort Putnam (1): 1776, Brooklyn. From the Oblong Redoubt the American line
rose northeast to a hill crest with Fort Putnam (now Fort Greene Park). A star
fort with five guns. Named for Col. Rufus Putnam. Held a garrison of 5 companies.
One of a line of entrenchments for the Battle of Long Island from Fort Box at marshes near Gowanus Bay to Fort Greene to Oblong Redoubt to Fort Putnam
to Left Redoubt at Wallabout Bay. Each work was a complete entity surrounded
with a wide ditch, sides lined with pointed stakes, and each had sally-ports.
Most of the line also had abatises. Left (north) at the eastern end of the
hill was the last fortification of the line called Left Redoubt (Cumberland
between Myrtle and Willoughby) covering the left (northern) flank. Renamed
Fort Greene in the War of 1812, now site of Fort Greene Park.
Fort Putnam (2): 1778, West Point. Fort Putnam predates USMA (1802) by nearly
25 years and was Fortress West Point's largest military fortification. Fort
Putnam, which overlooks USMA and is situated northeast of Michie Stadium 500
feet above sea level, was the best position to fortify against infantry assault
and helped to effectively block British travel on the Hudson during the Revolutionary
War. A complete refurbishment of the fort occurred during the nation's Revolutionary
War Bicentennial. Cannon and mortars were reproduced and placed according to
drawings by Lt. Louis- Alexandre Berthier, a Revolutionary War topographic
For more information go to http://www.usma.army.mil/tour/.
pictures see www.antonucci.org/photoecho/westpt.html
Fort Putnam, West Point
Back to Forts M - P Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 20, 2006