New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center - Forts
    Forts  
  Home
  About the Museum
  Contact Us
  Articles
  Armories & Arsenals
  Events
  Education
  Flags
  Forts
  Heraldry
  Links
  Pictures
  Press
  Research
  Unit History Project
  Veteran's Oral History
  Search
   
  DMNA Homepage
  NYARNG
  NYANG
  NYG
  NY Naval Militia
  Friends
 

Fort Richmond

Fort Richmond (2): 1663-1776-1807-1812, Staten Island. The site was first fortified with a 1663 blockhouse and then during the Revolutionary War as the American redoubt Flagstaff Fort (1776), taken by the British it was enlarged and used to 1783. NYS Started a masonry fortification here in 1807 - 1811, (Water Battery, 1811) on East coast of Staten Island for harbor defense. Controlled by Fort Tompkins 1812. In the early 1860s on an early 1840 recomendation of the Engineering Officer at Fort Hamilton (a CPT R.E.Lee, later of the Confederate Army) it was rebuilt as a five foot thick, three-tiered battlement, with gun and rifle ports. Later called Battery Weed, in honor of Brevet BG Steven Weed killed at Gettysburg. Incorporated into Fort Wadsworth.

fort richmond picture

 

New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military History
Last modified: February 21, 2006
URL: http://www.dmna.state.ny.us/forts/fortsQ_S/richmondFort.htm

Valid HTML 4.01!

 
Home | About the Museum | Contact Us | Articles | Events | Education | Flags | Heraldry
Links | Pictures | Press | Research | Unit History Project | Veteran's Oral History | Search