Sampson Naval Hospital
Sampson Naval Hospital: The Station included a 1,000-bed hospital, housing for personnel, and a school to train corpsmen.
Thirty one-story ward buildings comprised the main hospital with additional special services buildings, quarters for officers
and nurses, a recreation building and barracks for corpsmen. (reports vary from a typical 100 bed hospital, constructed as a
1,000-bed hospital and often listed as a 2,500-bed hospital). The 1,000-bed hospital, with about 900 TB patients, transferred
to the VA at the close of 1946. This was known as area Q, a 466 acre reservation of 141 buildings. On 1 July 1946 the hospital
was closed due to budget cuts. In October 1946 the hospital was transferred to Willard State Hospital.
Back to Forts Q - S Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 21, 2006