Schenectady Stockade (1): (Schenectida) 1672 received patent. The village was divided into
four blocks, or squares, and these were subdivided into house-lots. The entire area of the village was inclosed
and fortified with stockades, or palisades. It was patented as a township with certain municipal rights in 1684.
At various times in its early history, Schenectady suffered from the attacks of the French and the Indians. The most
memorable of these attacks known as "The Massacre of Schenectady". was in February, 1690. Schenectady is said to
have had at this time about 80 houses and 400 inhabitants, of which 60 were killed, 27 made prisoners, and the
village burned. The village was protected by palisades. There were two gates, one at the north end of Church street,
the other at the south end, opening out to the Albany road. There was, also, near what is now the corner of Washington
and Front streets, a fort garrisoned by 24 men.
Schenectady Stockade (2):1690, Schenctady County, Schenectady. After the destruction
of this stockade, another one was built immediately that served until a new
fort was built about 1705 at the opposite corner where now is the junction
of Front, Ferry, and Green streets, named Queen's Fort in 1705 and also known
as Royal Fort.
Schenectady Stockade (3):1735, Schenctady County, Schenectady. A new stockade
was errected in 1735. A parallelagram from present N. Street near the river,
south to the vicinity of Schenectady County Community College, east along State
Street to Rail Road, then north from Wall Street to the start. A new fort,
also known as Corlear's Fort and in 1754 known as Fort Cosby was built of heavy
wooden timbers set on a stone wall. This was almost 12 feet high and 100 feet
to a side. In 1776 referred to as Fort Schenectady, with Continental Army Troop
Barracks. Later maps showed a stockade with numerous blockhouses in addition
to the fort. The third stockade and fort were demolished about 1783.
Back to Forts Q - S Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 21, 2006