Scotia Naval Supply Depot
Scotia Naval Supply Depot: 1942, Schenectady County, Scotia. The depot was built in 1942-43 as a storage and supply depot for naval forces along the Atlantic coast and Europe. Mostly stored large items such as boilers, turbines and reduction gears. Home of the Navy's Landing Craft Maintenance and Battle Damage Program and the Navy's Automotive and Handling Equipment Spare Parts Program. Employment peaked in 1945 at 2342. In 1947 five storage facilities were improved as permanent storage facilities for large machine tools. During the Korean War home for the Navy's Specifications, Forms and Publication Center. Recently most of the depot has closed and reverted to commercial use. A small Naval Reserve and Surplus Property Operation remains.
Back to Forts Q - S Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 21, 2006