Senaca Army Depot
Senaca Army Depot: 1941, Seneca County, Seneca Falls. Near Sampson Naval Training Center (1942) (now a State Park, except for Officer Row) and the Sampson
Army Airfield (1950 former SNTC) (airstrip part of the Depot), and the Naval Hospital (now state property). Major ammunition depot for the East Coast. Started in 1941 as a 11,500 acre ammunition dump with an aviation runway. The North Depot Activity was developed in 1956 and included storage of special weapons for the Griffiss
AFB. The special weapons support (north) post was merged with the Depot in 1961 and was vacated upon closure of Griffiss in 1993. Two large GSA warehouses were built in 1953 and 54. The depot is in closure operations since listed to be closed in 1995. Future disposition unknown.
Back to Forts Q - S Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 24, 2006