South Battery: 1810, New York City Harbor defenses. At foot of Bridge Street, foot of Manhattan, probably east of Castle
Clinton which was known as South West Battery. This would be Battery Park or what in 1776 was known as the Grand Battery below Fort George.
South Battery (2): 1812, Kings County, Governor's Island. Built to guard Buttermilk
Channel between Island and Brooklyn in 1812. On southern tip prior to island's
expansion with fill from Brooklyn Tunnel. Later used as an Officer's Club.
Back to Forts Q - S Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 24, 2006