Fort Sterling: March 1776, Kings County, Brooklyn. The first American fort built in Brooklyn, it was located on a
bluff at the very edge of the Booklyn Heights. The site today is Columbia Steet between Clark and Orange Streets.
Also known as Fort Half-Moon because of its open back. The fort was designed to command the East River. Taken by the
British in August 1776 it was continuously garrisoned until their evacuation in 1783. This site was not used again.
Another fort referred to as a grand citadel to be called The Congress was to have been constructed to the rear on higher
ground at Henry and Pierrepont Streets but was not started, but was where the British later built
Back to Forts Q - S Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 24, 2006