Stony Point: 1779, Rockland County, Stony Point. Fortifications and Battlefield. "Gibralter of the Hudson" The British had captured the peninsula of Stony Point , and a small American Blockhouse, in May 1779, and began to fortify it by cutting down trees, and by erecting an earthen fort and two barriers called abatis. In addition, two British ships offered extra protection, and the newly-captured fort at Verplanck's Point (Fort Lafayette (1)), across the river, could be signaled by rocket for reinforcements. The commander of the garrison at Stony Point felt certain that his defenses were secure, calling the new fort his "little Gibraltar." Washington responded to Clinton's move by moving his troops to protect the American fortifications at West Point. On July 15, 1779, Wayne's troops began their march from Fort Montgomery, near the present-day Bear Mountain Bridge. Two columns swept up the treeless slopes,and a third went up the cliffs, arriving in the fort within minutes of each other. The heaviest fighting lasted half an hour, and by 1AM the garrison had surrendered. Three days later, Washington abandoned Stony Point because he knew it could not be defended against the combined might of the British army and navy. Although the British returned to Stony Point and rebuilt the fort, British troops were withdrawn in October because of insufficient reinforcements, and never again threatened the Hudson Highlands. The victory at Stony Point was the last major battle in the north, and boosted American morale. Battlefield is a State Park.
For more information see www2.lhric.org/spbattle/spbattle.htm (link
opens new window)
Back to Forts Q - S Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 24, 2006