Fort Ticonderoga: 1756, Essex County, Ticonderoga. Built by the French as
Fort Carillon, and partially destroyed by them in their withdrawal of 1759.
Rebuilt as Fort Ticonderoga 1759-60 by British, captured by Americans in 1775,
Gen. Washington sent its cannons to lift the siege of Boston, by Gen Knox.
Recaptured by British in 1777 enroute to Saratoga. Dismantled after Burgoyne's
surrender. Bought by William Pell. His Great Great Grandson, Stephen Pell,
began reconstruction in 1908. The Fort Ticonderoga Associationan
was established in the 1930s, and continues to restore and operate the fort
as a historic site.
For more information
see www.fort-ticonderoga.org (link
opens new window)
Back to Forts T - Z Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 24, 2006