Fort Tyler: 1898, Suffolk County, Gardiner's Island. Transferred to the War Department in 1898 and converted into a small coastal defense positions on the tip of Gardiner's Island at the entrance to Gardiner's Bay. Closed in the late 1920s. Status of batteries in 1921 was; Battery Smith, 2 - 8" Disappearing, 2 - 5" Pedestal. Used as a Naval bombing range during WW2. Sold to private interests after the war.
For more information see Coastal
Defense Study Group (link opens new window)
Back to Forts T - Z Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 24, 2006