West Point: 1778, Orange County, West Point. The main Fort Clinton was on the point with Sherburnes's Redoubt, and on the rocky crags to the southwest was Fort Putnam. The shoreline of the Hudson to the south had Walter (Seacoast?) and Knox Batteries. To the north were Chain, Lanthorn, Green and South Batteries. South of Fort Clinton on the ridge line were Forts Webb, Wyllys and Meigs. In 1779 Redoubts 1 through 4 were added west of Fort Putnam. In 1778 Redoubts 5 through 7 were planned for Constitution Island, 7 was the site of former Fort Constitution and the Gravel Hill Battery site (6) was built as Greaton's Battery. West Point is one of the Nation's oldest military post in continuous operation. A permanent garrison of American revolutionary troops were stationed here on January 20, 1778 to thwart British efforts to control river navigation and split the colonies. The United States Military Academy was established in 1802 and prepares selected young men and women for careers as Army Officers and leaders of the Nation.
For more information see www.usma.army.mil/tour/ (link
opens new window)
Back to Forts T - Z Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 25, 2006