Camp Wikoff: 1898, Suffolk County, Montauk Point. Established August-September 1898 in vicinity of Fort Pond Bay as a Federal demobilization and quarantine camp for troops returning from Cuba at the close of the Spanish-American War. Named for Col. Charles Wikoff, 22nd Infantry, killed before Santiago at El Caney. Selected for its proximity to rail and deep water anchorage, and because it was believed prevailing offshore winds would hinder spread of tropical diseases to the civilian population, from August to October 1898. Area later used for National Guard annual training in the 1920s.
Back to Forts T - Z Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 25, 2006