Fort Willett: 1781, Montgomery County, St. Johnsville. Fifth fort added to previous four about Fort Plain, 4 miles to Northwest, as a result of raids in fall 1780. The fort had 15 foot high oak palisades with blockhouses at the northeast and southwest corners. This large fort supposedly could hold a thousand people, and had a huge oven. After the war the farmers that had contributed the logs for the palisades removed them and the fort was demolished.
Back to Forts T - Z Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 25, 2006