Fort William Henry
Fort William Henry (1): 1691, New York City, See Fort George (1).
Fort William Henry (2): 1755 September, Warren County, Village
of Lake George. Built by Maj Gen William Johnson and named for two royal grandsons
George II, William and Henry (some accounts say for William Henry, Duke of
Gloucester). The Fort repulsed numerous attacks from French troops for two
years, until August of 1757, when General Montcalm mustered a force of 12,500
French Regulars and Indian Allies to attack the Fort. After six days, the log
fortress battered by the French cannonade finally surrendered and the fort
was burned by the French. Replica reconstructed starting 1953.
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military