Fort Williams (1): 1759, Saratoga County. On land route between Fort
Edward and Fort George, halfway between Halfway Brook and Lake George.
See also "Bloody Pond" for
battles near this location in 1755 and 1780.
Fort Wiliams (2): 1756, Oneida County, Rome. French and Indian War, On the
Oneida Carry/Portage (Rome). At the upper landing of Mohawk River, eastern
terminus of the carry. Was about 1/4 mile downstream from future Fort
A log stockade in a pinwheel shape with two blockhouses and one storehouse.
Destroyed by the British 20 Aug 1756 after the French took Oswego to deny them
fortifications at the carry. See Map at Oneida
Fort Williams (3): Town of Salem, Washinton County, 1778. Also known as the
Salem Blockhouse. In conjunction with Fort
Salem the logs from an old log meeting
house were used to start a blockhouse as an outpost to the fort, on Mill Hill.
Believed to be incomplete when the fort was destoryed in late 1777. In early
1778, after the defeat of Burgoyne at Saratoga, the citizens and Militia returned
to Salem and completed the blockhouse. It is believed this was then named for
General (Dr.) John Williams, who had helped organize the White Creek Militia
and as a Col. organized the Charlotte (Washington) County Militia.
William A. Cormier, Town Historian, for this information, www.sover.net/~salemny/histh1.html (link
opens new window)
In 1778 a stockaded fort
was erected atop this hill and
occupied by Charlotte Co.
Militia as a defense against
the British forces.
Back to Forts T - Z Index
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
February 25, 2006