|The following views of the facility are available if you wish to view; Use the "back" key of your browser to return to this page after viewing.|
The New Scotland Avenue Armory is no longer in National Guard service.
The New Scotland Avenue (Troop B) Armory was built in 1914. It was designed by Lewis Pilcher.
The armory is sited on a relatively flat, approximately 9 acre lot, the northern half of which is occupied by four large, modern, concrete block storage and maintenence buildings. Only the northern half of the property of approximately 4.5. acres, was included in the Historic Register nomination.
The first unit to use the armory was Troop B, later a Machine Gun Company in WWI. Taken over by the 106th AAA AW Battalion (10th Regt) (1950-52), renamed 127th AAA AW Battalion (1952-53), renamed 127th AAA Battalion (1953-59), renamed 210th Artillery 1st AW Battalion (1959-60), converted and renamed 1st Bn 210th Armor in 1960 until deactivated in 1993), occupied by B Co 1 Bn 101 Cav and various detachments until closure and sale in 1999.
The roughly T-shaped armory consists of a two-story administration building and a three and one-half story drill shed. Both sections rest on raised, parged concrete foundations with granite water tables. The walls are constructed of structural steel framing sheathed with brick curtain walls.
The main block and bastions are encircled by crenelated brick parapets with rifle slits, stone coping, a stone beltcourse, and a machicolated brick cornice. The bastions are ornamented with high relief stone rendering of the seal of New York State.
The five-bay-deep side elevations of the administration building each feature a slightly projecting, three-bay-wide center pavillion with double doors surmounted by large, multi-paned transom lights and a segmentally arched brick surround with a stone keystone.
The two most notable and intact spaces are the company meeting room on the first story of the administration building and the large, unobstructed drill shed. The company meeting room features a simple brick mantel and paneled wainscotting.
The New Scotland Avenue (Troop B) Armory was added to the Historical Register in June, 1991.
Albany County Government Website
Albany City Government
Return to Top of Page | To Text List of Locations | To Map of Locations
DMNA Homepage | firstname.lastname@example.org (Webmaster)