The 14th Regiment Cavalry, or “Metropolitan Cavalry,” mustered into service for three years at Riker’s Island between November 1862 and July 1863. Very little remains from this standard. Three fragments along the fly edge, including the red painted piece and the piece with the stars, were hand sewn to the fringe some time ago most likely to save them from getting lost. This flag serves to remind us about the New York State Battle Flag Collection’s conservation needs.
Colonel Abram Bassford deposited this flag with the state on August 4, 1865. 2002.0093
See 14th Cavlary History Pagefor more information about this unit.