Organized at Lockport and Buffalo, the 2nd Mounted Rifles initially served as infantry until November 1864 when the regiment received their mounts and joined the Army of the Potomac’s Cavalry Corps. Approximately 40% of this blue, silk standard is missing, most notably along the fly and in the center. The flag includes the Arms of the State of New York painted in the center and 1.5" long, twisted and looped fringe on three sides. The standard was deposited into the collection on October 5, 1865. (2004.0029)
See 2nd Mounted Rifles History Pagefor more information about this unit.
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military History