The 5th Regiment Cavalry, or First Ira
Harris Guard, mustered into service for three years during the late
summer and fall of 1861. When the term expired, those entitled were
discharged and the regiment continued in service as “Veteran Volunteers,”
as indicated by the “N.Y.S.V.V.” on these blue silk flank
markers. Both flags feature painted inscriptions and a semi-elliptical
red shield in the center on both sides. “N.Y.S.V.V.” and
“CAVALRY.” are in mirror image on the reverse for both.