What do we know about the condition of New York’s Battle Flags?
• Most of the Civil War flags are in fair-to-poor condition.
• All of New York’s battle flags are being damaged by the current
method of display in the cases on the first floor of the Capitol.
• The flags are crowded into cases in an uncontrolled environment.
• Gravity is causing stresses on the rolled, vertical flags.
• The flags became soiled from a century of exposure to dirt in the
Capitol and the surrounding urban environment.
• The flags, now wrapped in acid-free tissue for protection, were exposed
to excessive amounts of light for over 100 years, which caused degradation of
You can enlarge the following images by clicking on them.
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military
March 6, 2006