The 131st Regiment, or “First Regiment, Metropolitan Guard,” mustered into service for three years on September 6, 1862. The blue, silk flank markers carried by the 131st Regiment feature painted inscriptions in gold, shadowed in red, along the top and bottom. Also, each includes a red painted shield in the center, framed with a gold painted border, and the regiment’s numeric designation painted in gold and shadowed in crimson. “N.Y.S.V.” and “REGIMENT.” are in mirror image on the reverse while the numeric designation reads left to right on the reverse. The regiment deposited these flank markers with the state on August 24, 1865.
See the 131st Infantry Regiment History Page for more information about the unit.New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military History